Chaos and Kairos

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Electives!

Kei came home from school last week with a list of electives that he could choose from. There were 14 of them and ninth graders get to choose four. The first elective he choose was PE. ( It is not like he doesn't have PE in school. He has a regular PE class in addition to basketball practice three or more times a week! ) "Kei, shouldn't you be studying something?" "Well, I plan to take Social Studies but English class is below my level and I already know the math and science..." "Okay, well, then take a variety." So Kei signed up for PE, Social Studies, Art (drawing), and Music (traditional Japanese instruments). I found out today that he got into all of his classes.

Kie came home on Monday very excited with her own list of 7 electives. Seventh graders get to choose one. She wanted to take industrial arts. (It is not like she doesn't study art in school--she has both regular art class and industrial arts class!) "Kie, aren't you supposed to take something to help you with a subject you are weak in?" "They didn't say anything about that. Besides, I don't know what I am weak in and, Mom, they're ELECTIVES. That means you get to choose what you want! Mom, this class does things with trees. I love trees!" Can't argue with that. So extra art it is! And I think she meant "wood".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home