Chaos and Kairos

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Kei's Speech Contest

Kei did a great job at the speech contest. His grandparents came to watch as well. They have been to and judged many speech contests, but this was their first Junior High Speech contest. They thought that Kei had the best speech. Of course I agreed! Everyone worked very hard on their presentations. There were recitations, skits and a play in addition to the speeches. The play won the competition. I think it was a good experience for Kei and he seems to enjoy being up front. (Dad's genes I think!!) This is the first time I have seen him do something like this in English so it was especially fun for me.
English education here is quite interesting. There is only one level for each grade. Basically the students have to memorize lots of words and grammar and they are tested on all the material in the text book and in class. It is quite easy for Kei, as you would imagine. But sometimes he gets things wrong because, "we haven't learned that yet" or he would never say what the book wants the kids to learn. How would you do on this question:

There are two junior high students trying to talk to each other at a noisy party. Fill in the blanks.
John: What time is it?
Tom: ______________? I can't hear you.
John: What time is it?

Check the comments for the answer. (This was Takeshi's suggestion...)

6 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger takeshi66 said...

you should not give the answer right a way. Though I didn't hear other people's speech, he was good.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger takazawado said...

The answer is ...... "Pardon?"

Kei said....."What?"

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first answer was Huh? Then I advanced to "I beg your pardon." THough I NEVER said that when I was in Jr. High. I like Kei's best.

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kei, I forgot to congratulate you on doing such a good job on your speech! Auntie Kim

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'M NOT PREJUDICE BUT ANYONE CAN DO A PLAY IN ENGLISH .. I WOULD HAVE VOTED ON SPEECHES ONLY AND I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY KNOW KEI WOULD HAVE WON.
QUICK NIT WIT

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I was in Jr. High, I would have said, "What?!" too! Now I might say, "Excuse me?" or "Could you say that again, please?". "Pardon" doesn't top my list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home